WP1 - Scoping, Engineering Design and Benchmarking – Leader: YOVA
WP2 - Battery Modules and packaging – Leader: CLEAN
- To undertake project Scoping.
- To undertake the baseline measurements of the “best in class solution”
- o define the overall system specification.
- To create and refine engineering design and powertrain model.
- To create virtual designs for light commercial vehicle and Heavy-Duty vehicle (BEHDV & HEHDV) designs
- D1.1 Project Scoping Statement and Document (confidential)
- D1.2 Finalised ALBATROSS system specification (confidential)
- D1.3 Benchmarked parameters for “best-in-class” BEV (confidential)
- D1.4 Frozen, optimised system design and powertrain model (confidential)
WP3 Battery trays – Leader: YOVA
To integrate the thermal management into the module structure.
To select materials for battery modules, housing and packaging.
To develop intermetallic connectors for highly conductive and reliable electrical connections.
To demonstrate robust, reliable and scalable welding of modules/connectors.
To achieve a battery module design (in conjunction with WP1) to be fed into WP6.
To test and characterise demonstration battery module against existing “benchmark”.
To finalise subsystem design at Month 30 - Refinement Design Freeze.
To manufacture the battery module and validate design for manufacture to TRL 6 at Month 30.
- D2.1 Integrated design of the modules, with a list of interfaces with the thermal management system.
- D2.2 Initial conceptual design of the module agreed
- D2.3 Battery system: defined interfaces, dimensions & other constraints
- D2.4 Optimised battery module design - Refinement Design Freeze.
WP4 Battery Management System, Thermal Management and sensing – Leader: FEV
To develop the function and lightweight materials and the methods of fabricating and joining them.
Create the light weight crash worthy structures as a part of the try structures.
To integrate the solutions into a testable battery tray demonstrator.
To test and characterise demonstration battery tray against existing “benchmarking”.
To achieve a final tray / carrier deigns (in conjunction with WP1) to be fed into WP6.
To finalise subsystem design at Month 30 - Refinement Design Freeze.
To validate the battery tray subsystem and design for manufacture at TRL 6 at Month 30.
- D3.1 Report on materials selection and processing
- D3.2 Finalisation of subsystem design – Refinement Design Freeze
- D3.3 Lightweight, crush resistant battery tray for BMS integration validated at TRL 6
- D3.4 Design for Manufacture approach
WP 5 Dismantling, second life, re-use and recycle – Design and implementation – Leader: NTNU
To define specification and design overall BMS and thermal system architecture and characterise cells.
To design modular BMS Hardware and Software.
To develop in-vehicle EIS based SOx algorithms
To design remote monitoring and cloud storage system
To develop SOx algorithms with AI based battery modelling using cloud technology
To develop anode controlled fast charging system.
To develop AI based thermal prediction model and Early warning battery failure detection software
To develop the two-phase cooling approaches: Immersion cooling system and loop heat pipe.
To develop the zero-emission heating system.
To develop direct cell temperature control and cell integrity monitoring.
To develop Optimum Combined Thermal System Analysis.
To validate the BMS, thermal and sensing subsystem and design for manufacture at TRL 6 at Month 30. D4.1 BMS Hardware/Software Architecture and system requirements
- D4.2 BMS HW & SW Architecture with early warning battery failure detection software
- D4.3 Integrated cooling & heating sub-system design validated at TRL6
- D4.4 Early warning failure detection SW validated as part of BMS
WP 6 DEMONSTRATOR: Integration, testing and validation – Leader: UoN
- To test and validate at laboratory scale the semi-automatic battery dismantling cell system
- To develop secondary use / reuse approaches as a part of the system design and communication gateway development
- (or new master BMS for 2nd life).
- To design and implement approaches for recycling of the battery packs Desk based study.
- To develop HW+SW algorithms (big data) for individual cells to determine SOH/SOS and EoL of EVs.
D5.1 Secondary use / reuse approaches as a part of the system design
D5.2 H/W and S/W algorithms (big data) for individual cells to determine SOH/SOS and EoL of EVs.
D5.3 Report and recommendations on battery pack recycling.
D5.4 A semi-automatic robotic dismantling cell – Validated
WP 7 Life Cycle Analysis and Sustainability – Leader: TSV
- To integrate subsystems from WP2, 3 and 4 into final BMW i3 system.
- To undertake on-vehicle validation using WLTC.
- To undertake on-bench battery pack level cycling tests and determine SOH and SOS at 300 000km and lifetime.
- To analyse which of the 2nd life options described in task 5.2 has sense according to the SOH at the EoL
- To validate the ALBATROSS system at TRL 7 and benchmark against existing BMW i3 EV.
- To create virtual demonstrators for light commercial vehicles and heavy-duty vehicles.
D6.1 Integrated BMW i3 vehicle battery pack for on-vehicle and on-bench and tested for safety
D6.2 WLTC on-vehicle tested at three different temperatures
D6.3 Battery SOH at 300 000km and predicted lifetime (80% SOH)
D6.4 SOH/SOF approach validated for system under WLTC
D6.5 ALBATROSS validated at TRL 7 and benchmarked
D6.6 Virtual models for light commercial and heavyduty vehicles.
WP 8 - Project Management – Leader: YOVA
- Economic and environmental impact of novel approach
- Development and population of database
- Development of KBE design automation system for eco-design
- Development of sustainability model
D7.1 Economic and environmental impact of the project
D7.2 Report on KBE development
D7.3 Report on health, social and gender impact analysis
D7.4 Sustainability Analysis
WP 9 - Exploitation and Dissemination – Leader: EWF
- To ensure that all knowledge is created, managed and disseminated in a coordinated and coherent manner.
- To ensure all technical activities, legal aspects and other issues are managed to a high standard.
- To ensure all aspects of the EC requirements for communication and reporting are met.
- To coordinate the overall legal, contractual, financial and administrative management of the consortium.
- To ensure that all project results are formulated and compiled into a form that can be protected by the most appropriate legally enforceable protection method.
- Manage and assess the social economic impact of the generated scientific knowledge and technology
D8.1 Kick off meeting Minutes prepared incl. partner presentations.
D8.2 Project Management Plan
D8.3 Project Management Plan First Revision
D8.4 Project Management Plan Final Revision
WP 10: Ethics requirements
- To create effective plan to ensure that results are disseminated to Industry
- To define viable business plan to maximise engagement between partners and enable results’ commercialization.
- To assure that project IP and results are adequately protected
- To assure liaison of the project with available and future standards
- To create a plan for the dissemination and exploitation of project results -business plans for commercialization
- To promote communication, collaboration and knowledge exchange between partners - internal workshops and training activities
- To organize internal training, within the consortium, and external training activities
- To demonstrate the ALBATROSS results and outcomes to an industrial audience
- Engage supply chain, customer & technology stakeholders to deliver post-project commercialization (TRL7-9)
D9.1 Initial Data Management Plan, including stakeholder database
D9.2 Project website
D9.3 Communication materials pack including multimedia content
D9.4 Training Materials
D9.5 Interim Plan for Dissemination and Exploitation of Results
D9.6 Final Data Management Plan
D9.7 Workshops and Training Events
D9.8 Project’s Final Video
D9.9 Final Plan for Dissemination and Exploitation of Results
D9.10 Standardisation recommendation document
D9.11 Reports on 1st, 2nd and 3rd iterations NPA
- The objective is to ensure compliance with the 'ethics requirements' set out in this work package.
D10.1 NEC - Requirement No. 1
D10.2 EPQ - Requirement No. 2